New procedure saves dog from the Death Cap


The Death Cap mushroom (Amanita phalloides) is aptly named. The mushroom’s deadly toxins take the lives of animals and humans every year. Dogs who eat these mushrooms are expected to die, as veterinarians have little in the way of treatment options. That is, until this week, when veterinarians tried a new experimental procedure on a dog and saved her life. Can the procedure save the lives of unlucky humans too?

Dog in illustration above has no connection with the tale told here.


Advertisements